Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Off to the Capital District again

Next week I go off to the Capital District of New York to begin my job campaign. This might seem trivial, but it has a direct impact on the fan series, since I plan to film it there (as well as in Canada).


And it also matters, because there is a stronger economy there than there is in the Binghamton, NY area, where I currently reside.


Normally, I am off on Sundays and Mondays, but I have to work on 15-16 August at the store I work at.  While I prefer attending church, this is an opportunity to begin the process of looking for decent employment.


While I am on the topic of religion, I may as well have a few words about the topic.  As a comic book fan, I am only too well aware of the concern over idolatry.  I had that concern even as a child, when I was watching Batman on television.  It is safe to say that I grew up with an understanding that Sunday was a sacred time, and that I had to keep things in perspective.


As I get older, I find that churches that "entertain" are a turn off.  I have preferred churches with ritual, since I grew up as a Roman Catholic, and then turned Eastern Orthodox.  As I am involved in the entertainment field myself, I find it a relief to go to church on Sunday and to get spiritual enlightenment, since I am a spiritual person.


Not that it is an easy process.


It's not.


I recently had a conflict with a bishop over whether or not I could remarry with the blessing of my church.  He said I could not, which means I would have to have a public official such as Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings performer the ceremony.  While this is a cause of some concern, it also means I have more options over whom I can marry.


It's not easy.  And I understand why atheism is gaining ground in the US.  It is a reaction to churches getting involved with politics, and to the Religious Right, which emerged 30 years ago.  Still, there are reasons I remain involved, and I will have a lot to chat about with my current priest tonight.

No comments: